Top 6 Remedies for Dry Skin In Winters
Unlike in ‘Game of Thrones’ , winter is finally here and it has started to show its effects on our surroundings and our bodies. While you can bid adieu to sun tan temporarily, (thanks to winters ), there are myriad of other problems that winter brings along with it, including the extreme dryness and dullness of skin and hair. So, to make winters more favorable , follow some of these simplest ways to treat your dry skin and hair during winters.
- Avoid hot shower : As good as hot and long bath in winters may sound, the reality is quite the opposite. Hot water often strips the skin from its natural oils, making it dry and itchy.So for a well moisturized skin it’s imperative to abstain bathing in hot water and instead go for lukewarm water . Also, do not bath for more than 10 minutes’, as long baths lead to excessive dryness.
- Moisturize More : The next step after bathing is moisturizing the skin. It’s always advisable to apply moisturize skin soon after the shower as damp skin has the ability to retain moisture for longer periods. The market is swamped with scores of body and face creams that are meant specifically for dry skin. Pick moisturizers that are oil based as these form protective layer on the skin that lock the moisture in the skin, making it supple and glowing. Additionally, also ensure that moisturizers are infused with Alpha Hydroxy Acids or AHA’S that are naturally derived from milk and fruits , providing relief from dry and dead skin while also moisturizing it at the same time. You can also use home remedies like olive oil ,coconut oil, milk , yogurt, glycerin , ghee, honey, and many more to keep the dryness at bay.
- Slather sunscreen : One of the biggest mistakes one could make is doing away with sunscreen during winters. We mostly apply sunscreen during summers when the sun is right on our head, but sunscreen is equally important during winters too . We often bask in the glory of winter sun or winter afternoons, often forgetting that during winters our skin is more sensitive and needs more care than during summers. In winters’, the skin produces less Melanin- a content responsible for pigmentation or tan of skin. The tan is built in response to UV light to shield the skin cells against harmful UV radiation . Due to less UV radiation in winters, skin produces less melanin and becomes susceptible to UV radiation during days, when there is lot of sunshine. So, it’s imperative to slather sunscreen on face, neck and hands even if it is not sunny outside.
- Cover from head to toe : One of the easiest ways to treat dry skin during winters is to covers oneself from head to toe . The logic behind such a move is, the more covered you are , the less will be the side effects of harsh and cold winter winds on your body. The problem is, there might be days’ which may be less colder and you might want to cut your body some slack, so during those days’ go for cotton materials like cotton hand gloves , rather than woolen, so that you do not feel hot. Also, it’s advisable to wear boots or shoes rather than flip flops to prevent your feet from cracking.
- Drink lots of water : Think twice before substituting water for a hot steaming cup of tea or coffee as it not just puts your entire health at risk but also your skin. If you want to keep dryness at bay both from outside and inside , then Drink plenty of water as it keeps us hydrated and also provides natural moisture to the skin , keeping it supple and flexible.
- DIY Skin Masks : You can prepare hosts of face masks at home to fight dry skin like applying the paste of honey, banana and yogurt or cucumber and aloe vera face mask for locking in the moisture of the skin. You can apply these things individually or in a combination.
Best Remedies For Dry Scalp During Winters
- Moisturize the scalp well : The thumb rule of warding off the dryness is by keeping the affected areas well moisturized and nourished. You should massage your hair at least twice in a week with preferably olive oil, coconut oil,jojoba oil or almond oil. These oils are rich in number of vitamins and minerals coupled with anti-fungal and anti- bacterial properties that make them apt for all hair types. Heat the oil for few minutes’ and then gently apply it in circular motion all over the scalp. Frequent application of oil will surely moisturize and nourish your scalp.
- Don’t over wash your hair : Excessive use of shampoo robs off moisture from your hair , leaving behind dry and itchy scalp. Wash your hair not more than twice a week during winters’ and also switch over to ‘dry scalp’ based shampoos as they are extensively made for dry scalp that help in retaining the moisture in your locks. Also, always use conditioners to make up for the lost sheen and moisture from your tresses’ due to harsh weather conditions. For better results, you can add hair oils, that are non- greasy to your conditioner for deep and smooth conditioning of your hair.
- Avoid hair dryer : Drying out your hair in winters is really a painful task especially for those who have voluminous hair. The absence of sufficient sunlight make us turn to hair dryer for instant drying, but hair dryer should never be used as the heat from it make hair drier and duller, leading to hair damage. Instead, wrap towel around your hair after washing so that towel can soak up the extra water or stand beneath the fan for few minutes’ or in the terrace to naturally dry your hair.
- Dandruff : Dry scalp is susceptible to dandruff, which in turn weakens the roots of hair and leads to hair fall and acne. The cold and harsh winds of winters deprive the scalp of the natural moisture, making the scalp itchy , flaky and dry. To keep dandruff at bay, massage your scalp with coconut or olive oil often as it is laden with anti-fungal properties that wards off dandruff. Also, there are myriad of hair masks that you can apply for warding off dandruff like apple cider vinegar, lemon, yogurt , fenugreek seed paste, neem, just to name a few.You can apply these on your hair individually . Also, refrain from washing your hair with hot water as it worsens the condition.
- Wear scarf or hat : No matter how much precautions you take, yet the pollution ( that increases during winters) and the cold weather will damage and dry your hair. The simplest way to protect your hair during winters’ is to drape a scarf or wear a hat while going out . You can always go for fashionable scarfs or hats that will up your fashion quotient and will prevent your scalp from harsh weather at the same time.
- DIY Hair Masks : Sometimes, all you need to do is have a look at the kitchen counter to find a solution for all your hair woes. . Here are few hair masks that you can apply twice a week before shampooing your hair to restore the luster and moisture of your tresses.
- Honey and Coconut Oil : A pack of honey and coconut oil is enriched with number of vitamins that help in deep conditioning of hair and restoring your tresses’ to their former glory. The anti-fungal properties of coconut oil coupled with anti-bacterial and anti-oxidants properties of honey will not only help in warding off dandruff but also provide moisture to the hair. Mix together 1 table spoon of coconut oil and 2 tea spoons of honey and stir them well before applying on the scalp.
- Avocado and Banana : Avocado is a powerhouse of Vitamins like A, E, D and , B Vitamins , healthy fats and natural oils that are extremely beneficial for dry hair. Banana on the other hand, is packed with vitamins,anti- oxidants, and moisture that help to fight the dryness and brittleness of hair. To make this hair pack, take 1/2 fully ripe Avocado and 2 ripe bananas and blend them together in a blender until it becomes a thick paste, free from any lumps .
- Egg yolk and olive oil : The presence of moisture, vitamins and healthy fats in egg yolk and olive oil make them apt to treat dry and brittle scalp. For preparation, mix one egg yolk in a small bowl along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix them thoroughly before applying the mask gently.
Also Read : https://ayushikhandelwalblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/8-best-skin-care-tips-for-oily-skin/