Best Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin During Summers : Top 8 !
If you have an oily skin like me, then winters are likely to be your best time when you can finally breathe a sigh of relief and get respite from greasy and oily skin.But when winters are over, the skin woes come back and hit us right in the face. Oily skin comes with myriad of problems with pimple or acne breakouts being the most prominent one followed by clogged pores, blackheads , whiteheads and more. Also, oily skin is more susceptible to dirt, dust and sun tan than dry or normal skin . So, here are some of the best skin care tips for oily skin that will surely keep excess accumulation of oil at bay :
- Cleansing the skin : One of the most effective ways of getting rid of excess oil from the face is by washing it twice or thrice in a day, preferably during morning and evening , with lukewarm water to remove the accumulated dirt and oil from the surface of the skin. For cleansing, opt for gel- based or foaming cleansers as it is best for oily skin. Also, look for cleansers or face wash that are oil free and water based. But remember not to over wash your face as it robs your skin of its natural moisture and compels sebaceous glands to produce more sebum or oil. Wash your face according to how much oil and sweat it is producing but avoid making it over dry.
- Use Toner Daily : Your skin care routine is incomplete sans toning. Toning helps in removing the bits of oil, dirt and debris left behind after the cleansing of the skin while also providing nourishment and suppleness at the same time. For oily skin, use alcohol free toner or simply use rosewater as it makes for an excellent toner.
- Moisturize the skin : The most common mistake people with oily skin make is steering clear of moisturizers to keep oil at bay. But remember that moisturizers and oil is not the same thing as oil doesn’t hydrate the skin or provide softness and suppleness to it unlike moisturizers. Opt for moisturizers that are oil free and non comedogenic . Gel moisturizers are usually the best as they are water based as opposed to lotions and creams that are oil based and thick in consistency. Also, abstain from purchasing those products that have Lanolin, Petrolatum and Isopropyl Myristate as they are not suited for oily skin.
- Wear sunscreen always : Applying sunscreen over an oily face is another painful task as the thick consistency of sunscreen feels heavy on skin and also leads to greasiness but skipping sunscreen only adds to existing skin woes as it leads to myriads of other skin problems like tan, pigmentation , brown spots or freckles . So, just like in moisturizers, go for sunscreens that are gel based with SPF more than 30 which will help in keeping your skin matte and also offer sufficient sun protection. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50 +, Cetaphil Daylong Light Gel – SPF 50 +, Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel are some of the sunscreens tailored for oily skin.
- Exfoliate : This is one of the most important tips for people with oily skin. Oily skin is more susceptible to dead skin and thick pores, so it’s imperative to exfoliate the skin as it eradicates dead skin cells and also diminishes clogged pores and bumps. Use scrubs that are best suited for oily skin and then gently exfoliate the skin but do it only once or twice in a week and not more than that.
- Avoid fried and fatty food : Refrain or limit the consumption of fried and fatty foods, as they contain oil that can make the skin oilier . Also, dairy products trigger acne breakouts so avoid consuming them if you have acne. Similarly foods that are high in calories and sugars should also be avoided. During summers and humidity, try to avoid these foods but during winters’, you can cut yourself some slack and satisfy your appetite with these foods but remember to keep the consumption in limit.
7. Use blotters or tissues : Always keep blotters or tissues with you to wipe the oil from the affected areas as neither it’s always possible to wash face every time nor is it advisable to do so. Also, think twice before touching your face often or resting your face on your hand as the oil and dirt from your hands can easily get transferred to your face that will not only make face oilier but will also trigger acne breakouts.
8. Face masks : There are hosts of face masks for oily skin that help in removing excess oil and dirt from the skin.These face masks can be easily prepared at home :
- Fullers Earth : Fullers Earth , popularly known as multani mitti works best for oily skin as it absorbs oil and dirt from the surface while also naturally treating pimples. You can either apply fullers earth on the skin alone or in a combination of rosewater and lemon juice. Firstly, soak fullers earth in warm water for half an hour and then add 1 tablespoon of rosewater and few drops of lemon juice to it. Stir the paste well ad leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Tomatoes : The presence of natural astringent properties in tomatoes make it apt for oily and greasy skin. Apart from absorbing excess oil from the skin , tomatoes also reduce the size of large pores. To prepare it at home, simply mash a tomato and apply on the affected areas and leave it for 15- 20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Orange peels : Orange peels are hailed for absorbing oil from the face and cleanse and open clogged pores at the same time. To make it at home, you have to dry out the peels in the shade first and then grind them into a powder form. Mix the powdered form with either water, yogurt or rosewater and apply it on the skin.