Top 5 Meals to Eat After A Workout
Post workout meals are as important as workouts themselves. Workouts, specifically high intensity ones, make your muscles tired and deplete the levels of glycogen from the body. It is imperative to fuel those depleted muscles with the right kind of foods, which should be consumed within 45 minutes or an hour after the workout. Also, exercises’ help to rebuild old and less adapted muscles into more functional ones and post workout foods help to achieve this purpose. So, let’s have a look at 5 best post workout meals .
- Eggs : Being high on nutrients and proteins, eggs undoubtedly are one of the best post workout foods to eat. One egg contains approximately 6 grams of proteins , which is about 15% of your daily recommended value. The presence of all essential amino acids in an egg makes it a high source of protein. Also, the yolk of the egg is packed with important vitamins that aid in repairing the body during post workout like Vitamin A, B-12 and B-6 along with hosts of minerals like copper, iron, calcium, zinc, etc. However, the yolk of an egg also contains cholesterol and fat so if your aim is to shed weight then it is advisable to go for egg whites that have no fats and cholesterol and contains half of the proteins.
- Oatmeal : It is minimally processed and as a result contains more vitamins,minerals, fiber than most refined or processed grains. Oatmeal , being rich in carbohydrates helps to replenish the energy used during workouts. During high intensity workouts, our body uses glycogen for energy, which is synthesized from glucose and glucose comes from carbohydrates. In fact, post work out is a time when you can eat carbohydrates without the fear of getting fat. Also, the carbs in oat meal have high glycemic index which is again a priority for your body during post workout. Additionally, the presence of proteins, fiber, and myriad of minerals like phosphorous, zinc, manganese make oatmeal a perfect snack to grab post exercise.
- Fruits : Laden with healthy and easily digestible carbohydrates make fruits best choice for post workout meal . They also have enzymes that help the body to break down nutrients that can be delivered to tired muscles . Try to include these specific fruits in your meal like pineapple that helps in the recovery of muscles due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Kiwi, aids in digestion and helps to break down the amino acids in the body. Avocado is equally good too as it contains good fats, folic acid, Vitamin A, C, potassium and other vitamins and minerals that can shoot up your energy levels. You can also make a smoothie of kiwi and avocado fruits.
- Non Fat Greek Yogurt : Greek yogurt has double the amount of protein as compared to regular yogurt and is also an excellent source of carbohydrates. You can mix it with cereals or top it with fruits like berries that help to ease the muscle soreness . Make sure to eat non-fat Greek yogurt only as it is low on sugar and fat which makes it ideal for not just post workout but during any time of the day.
- Salmon : Packed with proteins and omega -3 fatty acids, salmon speeds up the recovery of the muscles post workout. Besides, it’s also a power house of vitamins and minerals like Vitamin D, B-3, B-6, and B-12, iron, calcium, selenium, and phosphorous . It also regulates insulin levels that boosts energy levels in our body and also helps in better absorption of sugar.